Material Lies - Week 5 Discussion Questions
1) How does the message of Phil. 4:4-7 relate to fighting against materialism?
2) What does it mean to rejoice in the Lord and how is that connected to materialism?
3) Why do you think we become anxious about material things? How does the statement “The Lord is at hand” help in fighting against anxiety?
4) Spend a few minutes sharing with one another things in your life that you are thankful for. Spending time in prayer thanking God for those things.
Material Lies - Week 4 Discussion Questions
1) How does the story of Mary and Martha help you in fighting against materialism?
2) In what way can we be guilty of being more like Martha than Mary?
3) If Jesus were having a similar conversation with you, what do think He would ask you stop doing or change in order to spend more time with Him?
4) What can you do over the holidays with your family to set aside the distractions of life in order to focus more on Jesus?
Material Lies - Week 3 Discussion Questions
1) Based on 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, what does it mean to be a cheerful giver? How does being a cheerful giver help in the fight against materialism?
2) What role does gratitude play in becoming a cheerful giver? What are some things you can do to cultivate more gratitude in your heart?
3) What do you think Paul means when he says, “whoever sows bountifully will reap bountifully”?
4) What are some practical ways you can teach your children to grow as cheerful givers?
Material Lies - Week 2 Discussion Questions
1) Based on Exodus 20:17, what does it mean to covet?
2) Why do you think God would include “do not covet” as one of the ten most important things He commands?
3) How does the command to not covet relate to the other 9 commandments?
4) What do you think is the relationship between loving others and coveting? Why is that important to understand?
5) Read Phil. 4:10-13. How do Paul’s help us understand how to fight against coveting? If you have children, how can you help them not covet during the Christmas season?
Material Lies - Week 1 Discussion Questions
1) How would you define materialism? In what ways does it reveal itself in our lives?
2) Read John 4:7-26. In what way does the woman’s attitude towards men reflect our attitudes towards other material things (money, cars, clothes, etc.)?
3) What did her relationships with men reveal about her faith in God?
4) Why do you think we so easily look to material things to satisfy us in a way that only God can?
5) What are some practical ways that we can fight the temptation of materialism over the holiday season?